Robert King, the owner/operator of Parish Woodworks located in Chalmette, Louisiana, is a talented woodworker who specializes in custom cabinetry and special residential woodworking projects. He recently completed a unique project that involved creating a floating shelf using steel cable and cable railing fittings.
Robert was contacted by a local interior design firm who asked him to meet with one of their customers who wanted some floating shelving. The customer had some sinker cypress that he wanted to use for the shelves, but he wasn't sure if it would be strong enough to support his turntable and record collection, which weighed about 200 pounds.
Robert knew that the traditional floating shelf brackets he had used in the past were more for decorative purposes than structural, so “I had the idea to add additional support to the shelving by adding aircraft cable. However, the challenge in my mind would be to find a cable system that would be both functional and aesthetically pleasing. I didn't want to use the traditional, bulky turnbuckle and cabling that could be purchased from a ‘big box store.’ The customer loved the idea of suspending the shelving via cabling. So off I went in search of what was in my mind's eye.”
After asking around his professional community, Robert was recommended us at E-Rigging by our mutual friends at Downtown Fabworks. Robert was both “surprised and excited to find that E-Rigging was a local company.” He contacted customer service and spoke to a knowledgeable staff member who assured him that the HAAS Revo System would be a good fit for his project.
Robert purchased the Revo System and began working on the shelves. “I did a few tests and decided the Revo system fit both the function and aesthetics of the project perfectly.” For the floating shelves, he used the following fittings:
- HAAS REVO cable rail lag swage tension fitting assembly
- HAAS Revo cable rail end stop
- Straight post protector for HAAS Revo and Axis
- HAAS Revo low profile cable cable swage end stop fitting
- Grand Strand 1x19 Type 316 Stainless Steel Cable Reel
Robert also modified the low-profile end stop by drilling completely through it, which allowed him to use it as a pass-through fitting instead of an end stop.
Once the fittings were in place, Robert swaged the cable into place and attached it to the shelves. The result was a stunning floating shelf that was both strong and stylish.
Robert's customer was thrilled with the results. He loved the idea of suspending the shelving via cabling, and he was impressed with the quality of the materials and workmanship.
“In the end, I was able to take floating shelving, which frankly can be a very boring and monotonous task and elevated it into something I am very proud of. I look forward to finding more ways to integrate the Revo Cable railing system into more projects.”
This project is a great example of how cable railing fittings can be used to create unique and functional solutions for a variety of applications. If you're looking for a non-traditional way to display your belongings, consider using cable railing fittings to create a floating shelf.
Here are some of the benefits of using cable railing fittings to create a floating shelf:
- Strength: Cable railing systems are designed to withstand heavy loads, so you can be sure that your floating shelf will be strong enough to support your belongings.
- Durability:Cable railing systems are made of high-quality materials that are resistant to rust and corrosion. This means that your floating shelf will last for many years to come.
- Versatility: Cable railing systems can be used to create floating shelves in a variety of sizes and styles. This makes them a great option for any room in your home or office.
- Aesthetics: Cable railing systems have a clean and modern look that can add a touch of elegance to any space.
If you're considering creating a floating shelf using cable railing fittings, be sure to consult with a professional to ensure that you choose the right products and installation methods.
Thank you, Robert, for DMing us on Instagram and sharing this custom floating shelf with us. We share stories like this from our creative friends and neighbors regularly; now it’s your turn! Share your photos and stories by submitting entries here, DM us on Instagram, or email firstname.lastname@example.org